Monday, December 6, 2010

Little fly

Esperanza Spalding

Back in October I had rare Art-Morning when a client pushed their house back a few hours. It meant I got to listen to NPR past the news and into Think Out Loud (a local call-in program), which that morning feautred Esperanza Spalding, a Portland-born jazz musician who is about my age.

The interview/discussion was incredibly stimulating, and it was such a pleasure to paint while listening to Esperanza. I downloaded the podcast and have listened to the show several times since then because it makes me feel like I can do anything. And her music makes me feel like I live in a real city with a real transit system with leaves blowing around between the buildings on the streets downtown. It's epic music, very controlled and complicated.

This sketch has been hiding behind my opera sketches, and I actually just tore this page out of my notebook so that the drawing on the other side could go into my Sketchbook Project Sketchbook, but I didn't want to forget about this darling quickie of Ms. Spalding, because I do want to do her justice one of these days.