Friday, February 11, 2011

Panic architecture

panic architecture

It really doesn't take much to get me to feel this way really.

I have a "smart" phone, mostly for geeky reasons but also because so many prospective art gigs begin online through email or twitter, and I was unable to idly surf the web on my down time at work, becuase instead of working at a desk I was on my hands and knees scrubbing miles of linoleum. There's no such thing as down time when you clean houses.

But there's between time, lunches at parks or on the roadside in a pretty nook. That is usually zen time or sketch a little time, but now it's also reconnect time, run on the little hamster wheel and shop for work. And mostly that's okay. But I do find myself checking my phone for that little blinking light when I don't have time to read an email.

I also have this problem; I see a blinking light on my phone, the toaster's about to ding, the kettle's about to go, the oven timer goes off which means the bread dough's ready, I get a text message. So many calls to my attention all at once.

The antidote, for me, is to unplug and go for a walk. Or fly a kite. Or write a letter with pen and ink. Make a paper chain. Read. Do something real, with hands and fingers, something far away from the world of blinking lights or glowing screens of any kind.

.