Monday, March 21, 2011
The following is a list that was on the fridge of one of my housecleaning clients a long time ago. It's from a local natural-and-Chinese-medicine office.
I don't know the underlying reasons behind some of these items, but literature directed towards health and wellness is one of my very favorite things in the whole world. So one day I came armed with paper and pen and copied the list down. And now I'll share it with you.
Basic Treatment Guidelines for Optimal Health.
Note: The client's copy had amounts or checkmarks next to some items, to reflect the practitioner's individual recommendations. These presumably did not reflect anyone else's recommendations, so many have been omitted or replaced with a variable.
Establish a routine around eating, sleeping, exercise and other daily activities. Doing these at the same time daily will encourage optimal health by regulating internal cycles within your body.
Go to sleep between [x-y pm] for 8-9 hours a night in complete darkness.
Deep belly breaths. Take  conscious breathes per day.
Exercise: [x] at least [x] minutes a day, [x] days a week.
- Move all of your muscles every day.
- Ideally movement exercise is outdoors.
- Examples: walking, hiking, yoga, qi gong, biking, join a sports team.
- Eat organic, fresh, or unprocessed foods whenever possible.
- Try to stick to seasonal fruits and vegetables and include many bright colors and dark leafy greens.
- Try to make half your plate veggies at every meal; preferably steamed.
Include: [protein at every meal]
Ground seed rotations:
-  TBSP ground flax/pumpkin seeds daily:
new to full moon (or day 1 - 14 of menses)
-  TBSP ground sesame/sunflower seeds daily:
Full to new moon (or day 15 until menses)
[1 TBSP] cod liver oil 1x/day, new to full moon (or day 1 - 14 of menses)
 EP oil 2x/day, Full to new moon (or day 15 until menses)
Water: Drink at least [60 oz] every day.
Proper Food Hygiene:
Before a meal:
- Prepare body for food intake by smelling foods
- Apple Cider Vinegar - 1 tsp in a little water 15-20 minutes before each meal
[bitters 15 drops 15-30 minutes prior meal]
- Chew each bite of food 30 times before swallowing.
- Avoid drinking during meals.
- avoid other activities and stressful stimulation (TV, Computer, Reading, Tense Conversation). Instead, try and eat with people and carry on a low key conversation.
- end shower with cold water rinse for 30-60 seconds. Begin at extremities and end at lower back to draw blood back into vital internal organs.
- Epsom salt bath: place [x] cups epsom salt into bath of [x] water.
- Dry skin brushing:
using a dry loofah or natural sponge, lightly brush skin using short strokes toward the heart. Begin at extremities and move inward. Best done before bed or before shower.
Remedies to support wellness: (a litany of homeopathic tinctures)
Additional Recommendations: [Almond butter or nuts before bed]
Play outside daily and have fun!!