Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Heterotopia

As if I haven't enough to worry about, now I'm reading up on the singularity.

I feel less doomy about this one though, probably because I'm a Hobbit and focus most of my time on those things that happen to people on the surface of the earth. I'm sure my technologically minded friends feel much differently about this.

I'm also comforted to learn that Deep-Blue, the computer that bested the world's greatest chess player, was hurriedly dismantled by IBM and is now broken into two halves -- one half is on display at the National Museum of American History in Washington, D.C., the other at the Computer History Museum in California.

When humans achieve something great we encourage them to do more great things, we throw confetti, we give them gifts, and we exchange their privacy for fame. But we don't make them stand in a museum for the rest of time -- we make a wax replica for that.


.