Monday, April 11, 2011

famous machine

This is my submission for "famous machine."
Though I think for me it's going to be a bit broader than that.

The waters are unusually choppy for a lot of people I know right now. For all kinds of reasons. It's hard to know what to do for people when they are struggling, particularly when you are far away from them -- geographically or mentally.

I often wish for a machine like this, not to make fame but to make happiness. Contentment.

Alas, you cannot find happiness for someone else. As Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi writes in Flow: the psychology of Optimal Experience: "...to do so would be impossible ...since a joyful life is an individual creation that cannot be copied from a recipe."

(Also: I would love to find out how to pronounce that guy's name.)

.