Friday, May 20, 2011

Hyperbolic Geometry

hyperbolic geometry

Euclidean geometry is all about the flat stuff; straight lines, triangles, and occasionally the radius-formulas in an idealized situation. It is Regular Geometry, the sort of math that got me excited only because it dealt with drawings, which was something I could see.

Those who are hardcore might move on to hyperbolic geometry, and learn about curvy things on curvy surfaces. I have primarily heard about this when trying to learn about black holes, becuase that always gets into space-time and Albert Einstein and all of these hypothetical things that my brain has a very hard time latching onto. A common visual is the planet earth heavily sitting on a grid, and the weight of the planet pulls the grid down around it. Which is what I was doodling when I realized that it reminded me of playing popcorn with those big parachutes at school.

I don't usually like to toot my own horn, but my I am proud of this one. This word was rather dubiously turned over to me, almost eluding explanation from my busy author who simply said, "just go watch my talk about it on youtube, I'm not really sure how to explain it."

It's cool, breeze. I got it.

.